Skip to main content

About this Show

Liberally Stephanie Miller

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
03:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Stephanie Miller 36, John 20, John Fuglesang 12, Us 10, Rick Overton 10, Jennifer Granholm 8, Paul Ryan 8, Stephanie 7, Costco 6, Gore 5, Bill Clinton 5, China 4, Vo 4, United 4, America 4, Eric 4, Granholm 4, Mitt Romney 4, New York 4, John Mccain 4,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    Liberally Stephanie Miller    News/Business.   
   (2012) New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    September 10, 2012
    6:00 - 9:00am PDT  

6:00am
>> john: this is "the stephanie miller show." good morning. i'm john fuglesang. i'll be filling in for steph all week in spite of a very angry letter from michelle obama. i'm delighted to be here. we have great guests lined up today and all week long. really what matters most is that you the current viewer get your news from the only channel that matters and the only news girl that matters of course, i'm talking about the luminous and brilliant jacki schechner. good morning jacki. >> good morning, john, how are you? can you hear me? maybe he can't hear me.
6:01am
good morning everybody. there is no viable path to the presidency for mitt romney that does not include ohio and new poll numbers show that he's now losing to president obama in the key battleground state. the president holds a 5-point lead, this according to the public policy polling which is a democratic leaning outfit. but what's important about this is that mitt romney's campaigning in ohio today and at this point in the game, the numbers show he still has some significant work to do. president up 50 to 45. meanwhile, mitt romney may have set a record for the fastest flip-flop ever. on "meet the press" yesterday he told david gregory that he wouldn't repeal all of the affordable care act. in fact, he would keep in place two popular provisions. >> i'm not getting rid of all of healthcare reform. of course, there are a number of things i like in healthcare reform that i'm going to put in place. one to make sure that those with pre-existing conditions can get coverage. >> the second would be allowing young adults under the age of 26 to stay on their parent's
6:02am
healthcare plan. the exceptions are a complete departure from the romney position up until now. his previous stance was in getting rid of national healthcare reform altogether as something the republicans have been pushing complete repeal. no actual reform. just hours later, the national review online, a conservative outfit reached out to the romney campaign for some clarification and sure enough, an aide rolled back romney's statement. he told blogger katrina trinco there has been no change in romney's position. even though it shower surrounded that -- sounded that way. the aide believes romney believes a competitive free market will produce the plans young people need and when it comes to people with pre-existing conditions, the only ones mitt romney plans to protect is those who had continuous coverage in the past. that leaves out anybody who hasn't been able to get insurance coverage up until now. it is something the affordable care act would provide. we're back with more of the stephanie show after the break with host john fuglesang. we'll be right back.
6:03am
6:04am
6:05am
always outspoken, now unleached: joy behar. on my next show, rocker dee snider of twisted sister will get to say anything about
6:06am
twisted sister paul ryan. >>only on current tv. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie miller show." ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey, all right now ♪ ♪ and it's time to feel good ♪ >> john: it is the "the stephanie miller show." broadcasting live from not so sunny los angeles because it is pitch-dark here and i'm john fuglesang filling in for steph this entire week. delighted to have you with us. we have a very exciting week and show. this week's guests will include governor jennifer granholm, eric bowl ert of media matters and
6:07am
more comedic and political names than i can possibly throw at you. i'm happy to be joined in studio for the full three hours by two of my favorite two sub mooks. prevon-free who's joined me on the show before. >> good morning john. >> john: in the passenger side the legendary the emmy-award winning, the alpha and the omega, the star of everything from seinfeld to lost to groundhog day the man who have gotten an oscar nomination for the informant because he stole a movie from an all-star cast, i'm talking about mr. rick overton. >> good morning, john. thanks for inviting me. >> john: it is great to be back in l.a. i've had a very, very fun two weeks in new york covering the conventions of course with vice president gore. the phones it turns out are turned on here in the studio and they can't figure out how to turn them off. my first day here and you guys can't find the off switch on the phone. we spent two weeks in -- this is
6:08am
great. this is good. this is what i wanted. thank you. it would be different if this had happened half an hour ago. but that didn't happen. >> there's only one that could possibly make a ringer set on off ring, the college loan board. i knew it! >> i blame everything on the teachers. that's what i've learned. if you've got a problem -- scott walker taught me that budget deficits should be blamed on teachers getting collective bargaining and not on billionaires getting tax cuts. it makes perfect sense. you stupid liberals. the last two weeks, i had the immense honor of covering the conventions for current tv along with vice president gore -- >> great job by the way. >> vice president gore, governor spitzer, cenk uygur of "the young turks" and we had special guests including joy behar and craig krugman. i felt like ringo. i was just glad to be there. at the end of the first week, i is ed to vice president gore, i think this is what jeff lynn felt like at the first traveling
6:09am
rehearsal. i get to be here with these guys? >> you held your ground great man. like a seasoned jazz guy. you know when to pull the sax out of the rack. >> john: i was just try not to drool on camera. >> that's like me being here with you guys now. >> john: oh, stop it. >> this trio of greatness right now. >> did you say trio of greatness? [ laughter ] >> john: this is not chris lavoie. this is tony tarantino. and keeps hal sparks' mojo going. it was like watching the conventions with the smartest friends you've ever sat down to watch a show with and realizing i had nothing to contribute but it was really brilliant and i thought current nailed the be coverage of having bill press and stephanie miller there was dynamite. i love both of these shows and having michael shure of "the young turks" and david shuster
6:10am
on the floor. it was solid coverage. we did four hours of live coverage every night. all of you know this because you were watching current without fail and it was really, really a great experience to be sitting there with, you know, a real political insiders. what i like about what current is doing is their line-up is comedians with joy and stephanie. journalists like bill press and cenk. just powerhouse selects of elected -- intellects of elected officials. having eliot spitzer and jennifer granholm on the same panel. it was humbling. i'm relieved to be back here in l.a. recovering from the bliss of the convention. did you guys enjoy the democratic convention? >> i loved it. i thought it was good. the first thing i noticed the first night when they showed the crowd, you immediately noticed a difference from the rnc crowd. >> john: yeah. >> volumewise, too. >> it was like going from a bowl of milk to someone spilled
6:11am
pepper. >> john: we'll have our first disagreement. there were black folks and brown folks at the g.o.p. convention. we should point that out. >> occasionally a fly will land in your bowl of milk. you get a couple of specks. >> john: if i had one dream, i would be the black guy at the g.o.p. convention to keep changing his outfit to look like a new person. >> groucho nose. >> john: why can't my agent get me that gig? i want to be the black guy at the g.o.p. convention. it was more diverse culturally and ethnically. it was louder as you said, rick. at the g.o.p., i felt they had to get hopped up on sugar to get excited for romney. >> i feel bad for the warm-up comic between shots an that one. >> who hasn't gotten a mars bar mini yet? here you go. >> john: this is the problem. remember for the past year and a half, people have said oh, the economy is still at over 8%, you'll have a real enthusiasm deficit for president obama. a lot of progressives and
6:12am
anti-evil people were worried about this but the g.o.p. planned it well by having a candidate that would guarantee a much greater enthusiasm deficit than anything that could have happened to the democratic party. i know so many republicans and i'm sure you all do, too who are die hard republicans who couldn't stand mitt romney during the primary race and now they find themselves forced -- do i hold my nose and vote for this guy who i don't consider to be a real conservative or vote for gary johnson? republicans, stay home. i feel for our republican friends because no one ever thought it would hurt the republicans first but he was able to buy this nomination. a lot of g.o.p.s in my own family are in a bind. they don't know who they're going to vote for. go ahead rick. >> i don't know why really devoutly conservative christians are voting at all when it is a matter of days before they're gone. why are you putting all of the fight into it? hang out start packing.
6:13am
>> john: you're talking about the rapture. a completely made up thing -- >> shh! >> john: made up by a british clergyman in the 1800s based on the book of revelation. if you read the book of revelation, this guy john, not john the apostle. it is not john the apostle. guy named john who is tripping his face off on taint shad rooms in a cave and writing down on parchment everything that he hallucinates. someone decided this was the vision of the end of the world that is going to happen. what's funny about it, revelation is the part of the bible that describes jesus as being brown skinned so sorry kirk cameron. but really, you know what the rapture is? it's bible fan fiction. you don't need to be "star trek" fans or harry potter fans who write their own stuff. that's what that is. it is like the left behind books. it is bible fan fiction. it has nothing to do. most insidious thing about the rapture is people who claim to
6:14am
believe in jesus can use the rapture to justify doing whatever they want because i'm on jesus' v.i.p. list and die need to follow the teachings here in the world i'm packing my bags for the afterlife. there is a velvet rope. >> the bouncer lets you in. >> john: spiritual narcissism. jesus said you shall not know the hour or the day but these guys are so certain. it is predicted to be this fall again? >> yes. you shall not know the hour or the day and you're supposed to be waiting by the phobe because you -- phone because you never know when jesus is going to show up and everybody back hoax. >> you might already be a winner. >> john: they run up a lot of credit card debt. i'm officially volunteering by the way to take over the assets of anyone who's believing in the rapture so i can protect your money after you've gone. but you know, it is not really christian. not really christian is, i think, going to be a great theme of this campaign. because governor romney, very nice guy but you've already seen
6:15am
people on the right saying ugly things about the mormon church saying it is not really christian. and i would submit to you that the budget of paul ryan is anything but christian. and that a lot of the positions staked out by the republicans and their platform are not christian. it is a pet issue of mine. i'm psyched to talk about it. >> did matthew put a little warning out? >> in fact, matthew did. matthew documented a warning. matthew is the best thing of all because that's where jesus said did you come and visit me when i was in prison. did you see me when i was sick, did you clothe me? and the apostles said when were you those things? when you didn't do it for my people, didn't you do it for me. that's the greatest argument for progressive government because if you want a government that doesn't care about the poor that, throws people in jail and doesn't care about decent prisons, that doesn't take care of the sick or the needy that's great but don't ever say you want a government based on christian values because christ was the biggest liberal that ever existed in history.
6:16am
>> clearly cut warnings saying there's going to be people that follow the fake version. and so in their own belief system there's this warning. they're missing which part of the punch line they are in this joke. they're laughing at the wrong part. >> i call them convenience store christians because you get to go in and pick all of the things you want and leave behind all of the crap so that way -- >> cherry pick. >> you get to be like oh, yeah, jesus did use this. i'm going to heaven but no gays. >> you start telling god how it's going to work. [ laughter ] >> no, no, no. i go into a restaurant. i proud my own menu. this is the stuff i like to eat. can i order this thing my wife makes. >> john: in fairness, every one of every religion chooses the parts of their holy books they want to follow. christian, muslim, jewish, everyone is a -- you can pick
6:17am
and choose the parts to be kind or to justify being mean to certain people. and that's the difference between -- >> pick the parts based on why you are personality. what already suits me. that's why certain political parties are designed for people who have a personality that just fits perfectly into that kind of mindset. >> john: this is across the board. muhammad wasn't like fly planes into buildings. people pick and choose what they want to justify what they want to do. this is the problem with religion. i happen to think that a lot of good comes from religion and a lot of very decent people have found community have found faith and focus in their lives. i'm not going to badmouth religion. you can't ever measure the amount of murders and rapes and crimes that weren't committed because someone was afraid of going to hell. good stuff can come from it. >> you're going to get bugs at every picnic. >> john: with conservative christians, there is this mentality that geezous said --
6:18am
jesus said to help the poor and the sick. private individuals should do it. call us at 1-866-55-press for the next three hours to talk about this. here amy argument for that. jesus didn't have democracy. this is the difference. he lived in first century holyland under empirical occupation. he didn't have the ability to pick his own government. we do. our government is basically we the people. and that's why if you're a follower of jesus democracy is ideal because then you can vote for the candidate who will choose to make things on earth as it is in heaven. you can vote for the guy who will help the poor and the sick and the elderly and make our prisons reformatory and not just cages that turn them into animals. if you believe in jesus and his teachings, why wouldn't you vote for the guys who want to use government to help the less fortunate? it is like these conservative christians no disrespect but they walk into the voting booth and it is like the one place where thank god jesus can't see me here.
6:19am
you want a new iran. kill of the people. you hate gay people? great, jesus didn't say to do that. you think millionaires deserve another tax cut. fantastic. it is against everything jesus stood for. he can't see me here so suck it, jesus. it doesn't work that way. if you don't want to help people then don't ever claim you want a government based on christian values because that's the inherent hypocrisy with right wing christianity. >> a lot of things is people with no power anywhere in their life. one group says i'm going to give you all of this power. when you say these words there's power in these words. finally someone to blame for the reason your life is so crappy we've found them for you. you don't have to look anywhere. it is the same thing religion does. cease your spiritual quest why. we've already figured it out. you don't have to search on your own anymore. >> there is a difference between religion and faith. faith is about searching.
6:20am
right wing fundamentalist religion is about i've got the answers. >> that's what i'm saying. dogma which shuts you down into an obedience dog mode or the one where you continue to go the rest of your life and it is mostly questions with partial answers that you have to toss when you find a new answer for the rest of your living days. >> john: i find this relates a lot to the conventions we just saw. i want to talk about that throughout the morning. we want to take your calls at 1-866-55-press. we want to take your calls at 1-800-steph-12. the question for the day is who do you think was the biggest winner and the biggest loser of each convention. it may seem like ancient history now. i'm here. we have some things to play. what do you think was the biggest winner and the biggest loser from reach convention. we want to know what you think. this is the "the stephanie miller show." we'll be right back on your radio and current tv. >> oh, my god i'm already having a fantastic time! >> announcer: it's "the stephanie miller show."
6:21am
sir... excuse me, excuse me... can i get you to sign off on the johnson case... ♪ we built this city! ♪ don't let food hang around. ♪ on rock & roll! ♪ [ orbit trumpet plays ] clean it up with orbit! [ ding! ] fabulous! for a good clean feeling... eat. drink. chew orbit.
6:22am
6:23am
v
6:24am
6:25am
6:26am
6:27am
6:28am
6:29am
6:30am
6:31am
6:32am
6:33am
6:34am
6:35am
6:36am
6:37am
6:38am
6:39am
6:40am
6:41am
6:42am
6:43am
6:44am
6:45am
6:46am
6:47am
6:48am
6:49am
6:50am
6:51am
6:52am
6:53am
6:54am
6:55am
6:56am
6:57am
6:58am
♪ rent tv. we are talking liberally and our audio problems from the last hour are fixed. we're going to be luminous and brilliant. jacki schechner in the current newsroom. sorry about that earlier. >> i thought you were maybe trying to keep the one girl out of the fort. >> john: i was staring with you with the same confusion that romney was during chris christie's speech. thank you for your excellent coverage. it was really, really great going to you every hour during our two weeks of coverage for current. you were terrific. >> oh, thank you. >> john: i hope you had a good
6:59am
time. >> absolutely. it was fun to include some extra little nuggets in there when we get to cover what's happening in the social media world. i like being able to round out the coverage. you guys were brilliant. if people didn't tune in, they were missing an opportunity to hear amazing conversation about what was going on. it is refreshing that you guys can say what you think and not have to pretend there is some faux equivalency on both sides. >> john: the independence thing about current is true. it was really amazing for me to be on the set with governor granholm and governor spitzer and vice president gore because they have stories about all of these guys and these guys' daddies. wish we we could have rolled conversations during the commercial breaks. >> i'm proud of what they did. >> john: i look forward to the debates. >> oh, gosh, that will be amazing. >> john: tell the folks what's going on out there. >> i have news for you all. planned parenthood is starting a new advertising campaign. at $3.2 million. it is going to be the largest ad
7:00am
campaign they've ever done. the first spot is called turn back the clock airing for five weeks in virginia. take a look. >> mitt romney would turn back the clock for women. >> do i believe the supreme court should overturn roe v. wade, yes. >> the ad points out millions of women rely on planned parenthoods for cancer screenings and emphasizes, women, not mitt romney should be making their own healthcare decisions. for the first time since april the president's outraised his opponent $114 to $111 million. the obama campaign says that $1.17 million people gave money in august. more than 317,000 of those were first-time donors! it is still a small game on the democratic side. the average donation is $58. compare this obviously to the large sums of money being given all in one big chunk on the republican side. we're going to be back with more of "the stephanie miller show" after the break. john fuglesang filling in.
7:01am
you're going to want to join us. we'll be right back. i'm jennifer granholm, let me tell you a story. in colorado the auto rescue saved more than 9,000 jobs. in the great state of michigan, 211,000 good paying, american jobs! in romney's world, cars get the elevator, and the workers get the shaft! (vo) want more granholm? get her every night. there she is ! hey, i got a leak ! yoo hoo ! wait a minute, come back ! um, miss ? up here! right. like 85% of us you have hard water stains and that cleaner's not gonna cut it. truth is, you need something powerful. you need lime-a-way. it's 4 times more effective at removing limescale than the leading bathroom cleaner. because lime-a-way is specially formulated to conquer hard water stains. for lime, calcium and rust... lime-a-way
7:02am
is a must.
7:03am
sir... excuse me, excuse me... can i get you to sign off on the johnson case... ♪ we built this city! ♪ don't let food hang around. ♪ on rock & roll! ♪ [ orbit trumpet plays ] clean it up with orbit! [ ding! ] fabulous!
7:04am
for a good clean feeling... eat. drink. chew orbit. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's "the stephanie miller show." [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ i'm walkin' on sunshine ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> john: this is the "the stephanie miller show." i'm john fuglesang filling in for steph all three hours today and all week on your radio or current tv. thrilled to be joined by two of my favorite west coast comedians, aw, shucks, two of my favorite comedians period. travon free and rick overton. we're taking your calls at
7:05am
1-800-steph-12. skip writes to me on the twitter if you're wondering how mitt would do with a drink look at rines prieb reince priebus' performance. >> every man over 50 has to get his reince priebus checked. healthy thing to do. >> much better these days. you have no idea you've been violated at all. it is great. >> john: i got to tell vice president gore that if you take all of the vowels out of reince priebus's name, it spells rnc prbd. prbs. coincidence? we'll be taking your calls. we'll be doing our convention hangover special. first off one of my favorite guests is here. media matters is keeping you safe from the lies fox news spews on a daily basis. media matters exists for one reason to deliver you the truth and point out the lies and eric boehlert is the hero of the day. always a pleasure listening to
7:06am
him on stephanie's show. even bigger pleasure interviewing him. good morning eric boehlert. >> how is it going? >> thanks for joining us. >> my pleasure. >> john: thank you. we're all big fans here but before we start, i want to ask you who would you say were the biggest winners and losers of each convention? >> well, you know, clint in tampa, the eastwood speech was amazing. >> it was a glorious out. he knew he was in the heart of the dragon and he stabbed it. >> you know, the fact that they had no idea what he was going to say. cleared the prime time speaking and they don't know what he's going to say. as he's told local reporters in california he didn't know what he was going to say when he went out there. there's such a difference between the production and really the communication of politics in what republicans
7:07am
cannot do and what democrats can do and my favorite part of the clint eastwood was you know, the day or two after, you know, the right wing media forcing itself to convince each other that it was a home run. that it was spectacular and don't believe the spin and everyone loved clint eastwood. when you're married to a train wreck like that -- >> john: i think he was trying to do a bob newhart bit and he rehearses. the crowd loved it. he got a standing ovation. >> again the idea that you're not even going to know what this -- this actor is going to say. to me, it was just amazing and it really revealed sort of a recklessness, i thought. >> john: they did bump the very fine governor romney promotional film that was supposed to air in prime time. >> some of the spin afterwards is they were blaming the press because the networks were saying we don't like these propaganda
7:08am
films. we're not going to air them but the network told the romney campaign, we'll air it. if that's what you want to do. we'll air it. on the democratic side, again it is just sort of night and day. you know, the enthusiasm, the speaking. as i tweeted last week i said what is it about democratic speechwriters versus republican speechwriters? is it like all-stars versus amateurs. and speaker after speaker i mean they really -- they really just knocked it out of the park. it was fun to watch. it was engaging. everyone in the hall seemed to be having a great time. and so now we're seeing the poll reaction and it is fairly obvious. i think obama is going to get a small decent bump and romney didn't get much of anything. the final thought on the convention though is i have to wonder you know, how much longer are we going to see these and how much longer the media is
7:09am
going to spend so much money covering them and sending so many people down there. it has nothing to do with the nominating process obviously. and it's a couple of speeches at night. it will be interesting to see if we're still talking about conventions in four or eight years. >> john: i find that sad. one of my fondest childhood memories was watching conventions with my dad. you learn a lot about civics. i like that we have this week where they get together and decide on their talking points for the next eight weeks. >> it was heartening. four years ago 40 million people watched john mccain. 40 million people watched barack obama during the convention speech. this year down somewhat. romney took a hit down to 30 million. obama was still at 35 million. you know, that is a good thing and the debates we'll see -- i assume a huge audience again. people will get this unvarnished look at what the candidates are doing.
7:10am
but there was bill clinton you know, i still remember 20 years ago listening to his convention speech on the radio in upstate new york because i couldn't get a tv signal. so yeah, they are important and they are sort of defining moments i think. but that being said, again, i think they're moving so far away from content it will be interesting to see if the media continued to you know, give them as much time and attention. >> john: the right wing is trying to sell us that obama's speech was lousy and low energy. would you agree with that? >> no. what was the poll -- the poll from ohio yesterday that show obama up five. one of the questions they asked who gave a better speech, romney or obama.ú obama, two to one. 60% said obama. 30% said romney. you know, i think it was a different type of speech than 2008. i think a couple of people mentioned it was you know, a bit more statesman. he is the president and that's how it came across.
7:11am
but you know, people -- you know people who weren't watching it for sort of the theatre criticism aspect but just wanted to know by the way what do you want to do for the next four years. you know, i thought it was very helpful. i mean look, no matter what obama says or what kind of speech he gives, right wing media, you know, they're so committed to this obama derangement syndrome. that you know, it literally at this point doesn't matter. what he says. and they are clearly stewing. right wing bloggers. over the weekend you know, sort of baffled why isn't romney winning by ten points. that is their world view. and you know, because obama's a monster. he's a marxist. he's a socialist. this is going to be a lay-up. it will be so easy to defeat him. and i -- i honestly worry about
7:12am
these people as this campaign progresses because you know, i'm not sure how they're going to deal with the reality of what appears to be what's going to happen on election day. because they live in this self-fulfilling bubble where they hear it over and over again. dick morris with a brand new column up saying the wind is at romney's back. he will win unless there is a catastrophe. if you hear that and digest that day after day, it is going to be uncomfortable on election night. >> john: i think eric, that explains the falsehoods in paul ryan's speech. so many people were shocked the v.p. nominee could tell so many easily disproved lies in his speech. i think it's because the man is used to living in the bubble and speaking to audiences that won't fact check him. >> that's a good point. people were taken back since when do vice presidential candidates at the convention just sort of make stuff up? >> john: i think it was established in 2008.
7:13am
>> she really said -- the president was the bridge to nowhere, i think. paul ryan just followed it up with the g.m. plant closing. completely unforced air. didn't have to make it. i think there's something to it. he's been telling this lie about that plant closing for so long to either republican audiences or republican talk shows or on fox news. and there's no pushback. so i think you're right. within that bubble, the lying the lying is chronic. then they step out and they just sort of repeat the same rhetoric. then they get sort of bombarded. the reaction is like wait. i thought everyone was cool with this lie about the g.m. plant? what's going on? >> john: the lies about simpson bowles. he reminded me of a young comedian who carries a joke and it is fine in the open mics and fine when you're playing rooms with you are friends then you get on tv and you're so
7:14am
convinced the joke was written by you and nobody will call you out on being a joke thief. you were performing in the bubble. >> the bubble is really fashion nateing. look, john kerry john kerry in 2004, the writing was on the wall, i just don't remember liberal bloggers saying this is to win trailing by five or six points. i just don't think there was that amount of delusion. yes, democrats are desperate for john kerry to win. yes now and again a poll will come out where it might be tied. but this idea that you know, he was just going to take it -- he was going to win it in a waltz on november. that wasn't allowed to permeate i don't think and serve the liberal opinion press. the way it is cemented in the conservative press. i don't know who will pay for the therapy after november at this point. >> john: therapy may be impeaching a second term democratic president. i think in retrospect, john
7:15am
kerry may have dodged a bullet by moot being elected in 2004 because he would have inherited a crap economy although i was inspired to see him give a great speech. >> he wasn't even a keynote speaker. he was just sort of on the roster for that night. but boy, there were probably like seven or eight speeches out of charlotte that topped the best that was done in tampa. it is amazing. the democrats just sort of own communication and they own marketing and they sort of tie it in with pop culture in a way that the republicans are completely stumped by. >> john: were you surprised eric, i went on to foxnews.com. obama fund raising edges out romney in august. are you surprised in the citizens united air remarks the month of the conventions obama still raised more money than governor romney? >> i'm -- yeah, i am surprised. i didn't think it would go over $100 million for obama. i just figured citizens unite and adelson and rove, they were
7:16am
going to keep writing checks. but you know, i think -- you know, i think it makes everyone uncomfortable. what was it last month? $225 million raised in a month for a campaign. tv stations can cash more checks. >> john: that's the winner of both conventions i think. >> yeah, so they're just going to plow all of the stuff into ads. i feel sorry for the people who live in the eight states getting barraged by this stuff. karl rove thought citizens united would be the ticket. they were going to write checks and buy the presidency and buy the white house. it is not working out that way and i think the real test in fund-raising will be october. if people realize that you know, is there going to be a conventional wisdom that this thing has completely flipped away from romney. because that was really the one advantage they had and as of
7:17am
today, even that has evaporated. >> john: i'm really shocked. i think you're right eric. one of the things we discussed on the current tv coverage of the conventions last week was how citizens united in the beginning was seen to completely help the g.o.p. and the irony is it has hurt republican voters because throughout the primary season, fans of real conservatives like gingrich or santorum saw their candidates mowed down by the mitt romney money machine so the republican race for the nomination citizens united hurt the conservative voting base. >> here's the other irony is citizens united, karl rove said ah-ha! i know more billionaires than democrats. we're going to buy this election. we're just going to keep writing checks. what did it do? it created this tsunami of tv ads. and they launched it in the summer and then they -- we've got all of this money on reserve for the fall that we can't use. when that kicks in, we'll bury
7:18am
obama. all of the ads are in eight states. by august and september everyone in those eight states has completely tuned out every political ad. so where does that leave you? diminishing returns. what does that leave you for september, october and november? nothing. there is not going to be a single ad that they're going to run between now and november that's going to move the dial. i think it is ironic they thought they were going to buy the campaign but it turns out diminishing returns, you can't keep buying people. they tune it out. >> john: eric, i think the only hope governor romney has in the eight swing states is they don't use dvr so they don't zap the commercials. the liberals who have dvr are like i'm not going to watch this. i'm going to go see the rest of "modern family." >> even if you don't have dvr the effect after awhile is numbing. there's no way they can break
7:19am
through and it's interesting. i don't think the press has really picked up on that. the press has always thought the more money you have, the more influence you're going to have but i think in the citizens united era that the attack ad as a weapon probably played itself out over the summer. >> john: what a man, what a man, what a mighty, mighty good man. eric boehlert, how can people follow you? >> eric boehlert at eric boehlert for twitter. >> john: thank you so much for joining us this morning. >> talk to you soon. join smart guy. anyone who gets michelle malkin that mad is doing it right in my book. >> they're like a little dashboard reward light. not that there's something wrong with you there's something right. >> john: amen. we'll be right back. we'll be take ching more of your calls at 1-800-steph-12. i'm john fuglesang along with rick overton and travon free.
7:20am
we'll be joined by justin and the new series, the new normal. stick around. >> announcer: it's like a mensa meeting with fart jokes. it's "the stephanie miller show."
7:21am
[ beads rattling ] [ bass thudding ] [ beads rattling ] spearmint that tingles as you chew. stimulate your senses. 5 gum. now in micro pack.
7:22am
always outspoken, now unleached: joy behar. on my next show, rocker dee snider
7:23am
of twisted sister will get to say anything about twisted sister paul ryan. >>only on current tv. ♪ how many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man ♪ ♪ how many seas must a -- before she sleeps in the sand ♪ ♪ how many times must -- before
7:24am
they're forever banned ♪ ♪ the answer my friend is flowing in the wind ♪ ♪ the answer is going in the wind ♪ >> john: that is ziggy marley, my friends on solo acoustic guitar covering bob dylan's blowing in the wind. his 35th studio album tempest is released tomorrow. i've heard it. it is amazing. rolling stone gave it a five star review. steph heads have to listen to me playing dylan. it is from amnesty international's collection earlier this year. it was a -- it is called chimes of freedom. it is a 75 track bob dylan tribute. it covers everyone from lenny kravitz to miley cyrus who does a great country cover of you're going to make me lonesome when you go all to raise money for amnesty international. buy that. i'm john fuglesang on "the stephanie miller show" filling in for stephanie all week along with travon free and rick
7:25am
overton. you had a pretty good analogy travon. >> yes i think reince priebus' very drunken speech at the rnc -- >> doesn't it sound his name -- he can't say his actual name. it comes out as i'm reince priebus. [ laughter ] i'm craig. >> i think we should start just calling -- when you go out with your friends at night, you come back like dude, last night we got so priebused we got. >> i was eastwooding everywhere. [ laughter ] >> talking to inanimate objects. >> john: oh, man i'm so priebused. we had one caller who said reince priebus is and an gram for we run ice penis. i didn't do that. my name's fuglesang.
7:26am
i waited to find someone with a goofier name than me. are you my alpha and omega. you are god's gift to comedians. >> reince and repeat. >> john: arguably, the first nonbuffoon in a generation to be in the white house. bill clinton, great guy. very easy for comedians to make fun of. bush cheney was like having a stooge and is sift in one package. barack obama comedians have had this arid, parched desert of comedy. he's not that easy to make fun of. he's a smart decent guy who isn't that goofy. >> i think that's what scares them the most. he's so normal. so a human being. >> john: which is why comedians beg you to vote for mitt romney. we'll be right back with your calls at 1-800-steph-12. it is "the stephanie miller show."
7:27am
>> exactly. >> nothing but net. >> stephanie: this is the play they always run. not manly. >>i jump out of my skin at people when i'm upset. do you share the sense of outrage that they're doing this, this corruption based on corruption based on corruption. >>i think that's an understatement, eliot. u>> i'm not prone tot. understatement, so explain to me why that is. i think the mob learned from wall st., not vice versa.
7:28am
7:29am
7:30am
7:31am
>> john: this is the cure and robin. this is called -- this is one of my favorite mashups of all-time. i like to play the mashups because i think that's just become its own art form. i'm john fuglesang filling in for "the stephanie miller show." it is the "the stephanie miller show." joined by travon free and the icon of comedians the comedian
7:32am
of comedian, the alpha and the omega, rick overton. be funny now. we're taking your calls all morning asking you all who was the biggest winners and losers of both conventions. so far we're not getting a lot people saying there were losers at the dnc. really not a lot of calls on that. although we have some great comments on it and one of my favorites is that the biggest winner of the dnc was al gore because they love being able to watch him talk about how much he loved politics and this is mama massager, winner al gore. my joy was seeing his joy. i couldn't agree more. it was a pleasure being able to be there and just to watch al gore talking about this. the guy knows his stuff. would you believe it. >> vice president. that must have been cool. >> john: oh, yeah, he was vice president. >> he was kind of president -- >> john: he was elected president by the majority of america. >> he was president for a few days. >> john: he was the man the
7:33am
most americans chose to be president and he was the man that most floridians wanted to be president. >> yes but thanks to the miracle of modern electronic technology -- >> john: you mean 20th century paper technology. the hanging chad. >> the hanging chads. >> well, he -- he probably has more power now. >> john: i hope he does. >> and more influence now. you're very restricted when you're in that office. there are a different set of follows you don't have to follow once you're out of that place. >> john: i was a fan of current tv when it was 15 minutes of college kids giving movie reviews. but now between having bill press and stephanie on tv which is good for democracy. putting eliot spitzer on at 8:00 and in my opinion, every night he gives a master class in wall street crime and how to combat it. and then governor granholm, good
7:34am
god. now joy behar. her show is terrific. it is called "say anything" and it is so great. >> she is -- she's just pulled no punches. rock the boat to the point where it -- deck chairs are sliding off into the ocean. >> john: great interview with melissa etheridge. current is so great. what can current do next? what could current possibly add? >> give me a show. >> john: they should give you a show. we'll be taking your calls. we have a few people who have been on hold for a long time. tony filling in for chris lavoie. i would like to go to paul in michigan. good morning. you're on the steph miller show. >> caller: how are you doing this morning? >> john: great to hear you. >> caller: it is weird watching your show with it being so far behind with the phone and the tv. >> it is like you're talking to the shuttle astronauts. >> caller: actually what i was wanting to talk about was earlier you guys were talking
7:35am
about the extreme right and how you know, they all believe in the rapture and what not. >> john: not all of them. >> caller: right. isn't that kind of a -- i guess an awkward point to bring up on the subject? you understand what i'm saying? >> john: no, i don't. what do you mean? >> caller: i don't understand how that has anything to do with politics as far as all of the issues. >> john: it doesn't. rick overton made a joke and we were talking about it. >> we were joking about why would you vote in november of 2012 when you're basically out the next month. >> caller: yeah, yeah. i gotcha on that one. but it seems to me, this is more stemming from like the women's right to choose issue. i guess you know, i mean as far as that goes, how is it the republicans are trying to take away a woman's right to choose. i'm confused.
7:36am
>> john: sure. let's run down a few areas. i'm of the opinion when it first began, i thought it was a bit extreme and might blow back for the democrats but over the past few months with the way they want to limit women's access to birth control yet still giving viagra to men and a platform that will allow rapists to pick out the mothers of their own children. that's when they lost me. when they wrote into their platform that victims of rape or insist had no control over their bodies. >> caller: i actually have not read this part of the legislation. can you tell me where you i can find that? >> john: google the republican party platform of 2012. to his credit, governor romney came out and said he supports women's right of reproductive choice of rape or incest but then he goes on "meet the press" and wants to repeal roe v. wade.
7:37am
he actually violates his own party's platform which i almost respect him for. >> caller: do you not possibly feel that most of us in order to be part of one party or another have to sacrifice some of our beliefs and morals? >> john: absolutely. the democratic party is a big -- the republican party used to be. >> caller: it getting to the point it is hard to keep track because like everything you guys say that is on fox that is a lie and everything they say is a lie. >> john: i don't say everything on fox is a lie. >> caller: we were discussing earlier about pointing out the fox lies. >> john: it is there. >> are you a fox fan? >> caller: no. i'm neither fan to tell you the honest truth. i'm kind of a believer that it seems to me that the two parties are more kind of divided on issues that i guess -- affect
7:38am
the american public but it seems to me there's -- nobody caves. nobody gives one way or the other. it seems to me that rather than focus in on democrat or republican, we should focus more on people. >> john: okay. i thank you for the call. let me give you one example on the abortion issue. gallup had a poll in may that i thought was very telling. it showed that 20% of all americans are opposed to abortion in all cases. okay. 25% of americans support abortion in all or some cases. i mean in all cases. and then 52% of americans supported abortion rights in all or some cases. so but only 43% of americans classified themselves as pro-choice. okay. so when this came out, we saw big flurry in the right wing media. people saying look, here's the final proof. pro-choice is on the way out. it is a minority. when you add up the americans the 25% who believe in abortion should be illegal in all cases
7:39am
and the 52% who think it should be legal in some cases that is 77% of americans who support a woman's right to choose to some degree. okay. only 43% classify themselves as pro-choice. and i think that's very interesting. my parents were always voting for democrats. they always voted democrat. they didn't like abortion. they would never call themselves pro-choice. but they felt that a woman had a right to make that choice herself. they were very happy like many older democrats when bill clinton said abortion should be safe, legal and rare. this is what i mean by the democrats have a big tent. you don't have to be pro-choice to be in a democratic party. there are plenty of pro-lifers and i hate both terms by the way. but the fact is that 77% of americans support abortion in all or some cases versus 20% who believe it should always be illegal. that's an example of what i mean, how the democrats have a big tent and how the language can be manipulated to show what is not. the fact is you can be a pro-lifer and find a home in the
7:40am
democratic party just like you're going to be a pro-choicer. >> i think where the line gets blurred is the line between you as an individual think and the liberty of the individuals in the country so it is like yeah, i can think abortion should never be legal in any case. i don't have the right to make that a law because that's how i feel as a person. i can have that opinion. but i can't tell you that you can't have an abortion because i think you shouldn't. >> which is really what small government should be standing behind. >> john: exactly. let me give you the flip side. here's what our an anti-abortion friends would say, it is a human life. we believe in using the legislation process to preserve the life. i'm the first to say if you support the death penalty in preemptive war you don't get to call yourself pro-life. but they really do believe that they're trying to save innocent life. i think they have a right to use the legislative system to try to
7:41am
advance their goals. if you want to overturn roe v. wade, you have a right to fight for that. >> you have to get the numbers to do it. >> john: the real solution is we don't have an abortion problem. we have an unwanted pregnancy problem. we have an abortion symptom. if you can get all of the sides to say how are we going to do something about all of the unwanted pregnancies, the abortion problem takes care of itself. would you agree? >> exactly. you say you want less abortion but you take away things like planned parenthood that help prevent people from getting into the situation to need abortions. how do you -- you can't have one without the other. >> john: it's true. this is what was so brilliant about what the president tried to do with the affordable care act in providing birth control to women. providing contraceptive care. men are allowed to tell women they can't have birth control when men are no longer interfering with women's bodies
7:42am
-- >> that's not enough to get -- inside the house. i think right now this is mostly -- this is info source words. this is about he's calling based on all of the data he got. he sounds like a decent guy. his conclusions drawn were like sound decency-based rules. his complaint i can see his point with his complaint. but he's using all of the daity ta he had up until this point. so much of it is certain areas. they don't get the other data. >> john: there's lots of people who support a woman's right to choose but don't like abortion. that's a big chunk of our society that i think is silent. people who won't call themselves pro-choice. they don't like that label but they support a woman's right to choose. they just don't like abortion. i've never met pro-abortion. >> no one is pro killing babies. >> john: oh, dude, i had a third trimester abortion and i went for a ten mile run the same day.
7:43am
>> if guys were the ones having babies, you could get an abortion at every starbucks. >> john: amen. we gotta go to break. we'll be right back with justin bartha. >> what the heck was that? >> announcer: it's "the stephanie miller show." 9,000 jobs. in the great state of michigan, 211,000 good paying, american jobs! in romney's world, cars get the elevator, and the workers get the shaft! (vo) want more granholm? get her every night.
7:44am
from silver screens... to flat screens... twizzlerize your entertainment everyday with twizzlers the twist you can't resist.
7:45am
health matters to all of us. that's why lysol has started a mission for health. with new mom programs, lysol healthy habits initiatives in schools and disaster relief efforts.
7:46am
when you use lysol at home, you'll know you're a part of something bigger. lysol.com/missionforhealth. sir... excuse me, excuse me... can i get you to sign off on the johnson case... ♪ we built this city! ♪ don't let food hang around. ♪ on rock & roll! ♪ [ orbit trumpet plays ] clean it up with orbit! [ ding! ] fabulous! for a good clean feeling... eat. drink. chew orbit.
7:47am
it's go time. what time is it rob? oh, then it's go. go. go. go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? oh, right. go time! [ ♪ music ♪ ] [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller ♪
7:48am
>> john: this is the "the stephanie miller show." i'm john fuglesang filling in for steph. you're listening to willie nelson from his new album heroes. roll me up and smoke me when i die. this is snoop dogg and willie singing together. >> what on earth do those two have in common? ♪ if anyone don't like it, just look them in the eye ♪ ♪ i didn't come here and i ain't leaven so don't sit around and cry ♪ ♪ just roll me up and smoke me when i die ♪ >> john: it is a great song. kris kristofferson sings on this song as well from willie nelson's new album called heroes. terrific album. most is duets with willie's son lucas. >> only marijuana could bring together a gangster rapper and a country singer. >> john: okay.
7:49am
we're ready with our guest justin bartha is a fine american actor. he appeared in the hangover and the hangover two. i'm excited about his new series i'm sure you've seen the promos for the new normal on nbc. thank you for joining us. >> hello. >> john: hi, justin. thanks for joining us. >> thanks for having me. >> a pleasure to have you. i'm excited about the show. i'm sure you aren't, too. congratulations for being picked up as a series. >> thank you very much. >> john: for the folks who don't know, i'm you've had to do this a go zillion times. the premise of the series? >> the show is about basically a new family. it is -- it centers around a gay couple played by myself and andrea reynolds who wants to start a family. we have a surrogate to have a baby. the surrogate is a single mother and then she has a grandmother played by ellen barkin and the two families come together and start a new family.
7:50am
>> john: besides the shocking fact that ellen barken is playing grandmothers, i'm excited because it seems like a pro family show. we're in an age where a show like this not only reflects the society but is a heartwarming presence. >> absolutely. that's the whole point of the show. it is a family comedy. it is a pro family show. all about family and all about love and acceptance. >> john: i was so shock and i'm sure you were as well, justin to hear that the nbc affiliate in salt lake city has announced they won't be airing the new normal when it debuts this fall. >> a different affiliate picked it up in salt lake city. i wasn't that shocked because i knew -- i'm in salt lake city. obviously still kind of bigotry and that's just part of the country that has that. you know, it is unfortunate but you know, i don't know if it's all because there's a gay couple on the show.
7:51am
obviously there's gay people on other tv shows. but you know, some of our dialogue is a bit out there. and we -- especially ellen barkin's character we go for it and it's a bit risque, some of it. i think some people talk and people will really laugh at some of the things that are said. joe is it a show families can watch with kids? >> i think -- personally, i would allow my kids to watch it. but i think like anything on television or anything, period, maybe the parents should watch it first and decide for themselves. that's the beautiful thing about this country is it's up to -- it's up to you. >> john: right on. did i find it a bit dismaying the state number one for online porn consumption would have a problem with this series. now, you've done series tv before, of course. this isn't the first show you've done. i guess most folks out there would know you from your roles
7:52am
in the hangover and hangover two. are you signed on for hangover three? >> yes, we start tomorrow. >> john: congratulations. very exciting. did you have any anxiety about playing part of the dpee couple? >> i didn't. it was one of the best things i had ever read. we were in the -- we're in the fifth episode right now. it is some of the greatest things i've ever made. i've never been more proud of anything. it is just not in my kind of wheel house to be you know, scared about that kind of stuff. i love a little challenge or even if you call it a challenge. and i don't think sexuality defines a character like that. it's more about -- the only reasons why it does define it is because they're two men they need to hire a surrogate. that happens to straight couples, too. >> john: it does. i've known plenty of gay couples who have hired surrogates. i think what i like most is the
7:53am
title. this is how it is now. we live in an age where this is very normal. and where love assumes many different forms. i examine think of a more pro family premise than what you're doing. >> you said it perfectly my friend. joe you actually -- i'm a fan because you are that -- ever increasing rarity of a film and tv actor who's not afraid to do theatre. you did the revival of len and you did our pal zach braff's play, all new people at second stage. how was that for you as an experience? >> it was great. last year i did zack's play. i also did a play by the actor jesse eisenberg off broadway. i love doing -- it is how i started. it is what i really always wanted to do. so to go back and to do that kind of stuff is -- i get the most joy from that. it was a lot of fun. >> john: i wish more actors would follow your lead.
7:54am
plenty that would help new york theatre. doing off broadway, you get special points for that. >> absolutely. >> john: a lot of folks remember from you the national treasury films. do you have a favorite movie you've done? >> they're like children. they're all my favorites. i like them all. i recently did a movie called cbgb that was a lot of fun that will come out next year probably. it was about punk rock in the '80s and about cbgbs which is a club in new york. i got to play a rock star. that was kind of a dream come true. >> john: wow. i'm looking forward to that film. i actually had the pleasure of performing at cbgb's when it was still there. doing stand-up in the room was surreal but i also played harmonica there for a musician friend there. we miss very much in downtown manhattan. do you know what cgbg stands for? >> country bluegrass -- hold on,
7:55am
i'll get it hold on, i'll get it i do remember. country bluegrass blues and other music. >> john: or other music from the underground. justin, thank you so much. i know how busy you are. grateful to you for taking the time. we'll make everybody watch the new normal when it premieres. thank you. i think doing a show like this is doing the lord's work. i wish you the best. >> thank you so much. >> john: we'll be back with more on "the stephanie miller show." i'm going to be on with the governor tomorrow night. she is awesome. we'll be right back on the
7:56am
"stephanie miller show." v
7:57am
7:58am
7:59am
8:00am
8:01am
8:02am
8:03am
8:04am
8:05am
8:06am
8:07am
8:08am
8:09am
8:10am
8:11am
8:12am
8:13am
8:14am
8:15am
8:16am
pected. >>stephanie miller challenges the system, now it's your turn. >>it's a little bit of magic.
8:17am
>>connect with "talking liberally with stephanie miller" at facebook.com/stephaniemillershow and on twitter at smshow. [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> this is a vintage arizona state university shirt. ♪ when i wake up ♪ ♪ i look into the mirror ♪ snow i can see a clearer vision ♪ ♪ today is going to be the day ♪ ♪ is going to be the day ♪ ♪ today is going to be the day is going to be the day ♪ >> john: this is the "the stephanie miller show." you're listening to the roots. the song is called the day. from the terrific album how i got over. if you're a lame white person
8:18am
looking for a terrific album pick up anything by the roots. this is my favorite album by them. two records ago. the album is called how i got over by the roots. a lot of tweets about patty our last caller who may have been -- tom schaefer was good enough to send in some clarification on what she was talking about. she's either nuts or lying. here it is. this is from the washington post that left wing rag from last june 22nd issue. in recent weeks the pentagon has intensified discussions with thailand not china about creating a regional disaster relief hub at an american built airfield that housed b-52 bombers during the '60s and '70s. they're also interested in more visits to thai ports and flights to monitor trade routes. we should point out with president obama and leon panetta, the defense department proposing all of the cuts for the pentagon budget, they want to spend more money building
8:19am
more aircraft carriers to be in the south pacific to sort of be hedged against chinese military. it is not exactly like this president's in china's pocket. i want to thank tom schaefer for sending this in because patty not only got the wrong facts she got the wrong country. you know, i felt bad she was on hold for a long time but republican rehab tweets, despite what she is, she is a racist. she thinks being polite to a black person makes her not. >> i let that black man hold a door for me. [ laughter ] >> i think once again, i don't think she's lying. i think she's repeating lies from fox news. >> john: you're right. she's in the bubble. >> you could hear the gears turning in her head when i asked why. what's the reason? she couldn't find anything except -- she even said no. >> john: she wouldn't do it. the fact she didn't like obama or romney means she's a republican. >> the trick is they're told to say i don't like either which means they like the other.
8:20am
>> first time caller stumbling along the airwaves and i thought i would call in. >> john: she's in the bubble. anyone who tells you they're both awful. you're either an embarrassed republican or -- let's go warrior with rick overton and travon free. let's go to martin in north carolina. tony, you gotta? good morning martin. you're on "the stephanie miller show." >> caller: good morning, how are you? first of all, i'm christian and i support obama 100%. >> john: rock on. >> caller: secondly, jennifer granholm was astounding. he's beautiful and astounding. duvall patrick said democrats will fight back and they are fighting back. my other point is i've been reading on the blogs that the reason why romney is withholding his taxes and hiding his taxes is because he's been money laundering through the mormon church via overseas accounts by
8:21am
the bain investments. have you heard anything about that? jost that's one i have not heard. what i heard actually, martin, was that mitt romney was undertithing his church and not giving a full 10%. that's why he was being secretive. >> i think he's lying. he lies for everything. the man -- something's wrong. and money laundering somewhere. and it is going to come out at some point. >> did you see larry flynn offed up a -- offered up a million dollars if anyone can bring his tax returns. >> john: all mitt romney has to do is do exactly what his daddy did and release his tax returns. mitt romney gave john mccain 23 years of tax returns and gave the american people one year to me this means mitt romney is much more interested in being vice president. >> john mccain knows the truth. >> john: john mccain knows the truth. that's very true. >> and probably a few other people know exactly what he's hiding. >> john: this is a bit i did
8:22am
last night. mitt romney -- here's the deal with mitt romney. in vietnam, he was only into missionary. as governor of massachusetts, he was into multiple positions. in wall street, he's into the group thing with no protection. when he sucks up the tea baggers, he takes it to the base. you don't want to know how he does doggy style on the family trips and he broke up with bain capital, still stayed friends with benefits and then the guy won't put out. >> he moonlights as a windsock for small airfields. [ laughter ] >> easterly breeze coming in. runway three. >> john: that's so funny. laura is calling us from new york city. laura, welcome to "the stephanie miller show." how do you listen to the steph show there in new york city? >> caller: good morning! >> john: good morning.
8:23am
>> caller: we were talking about winners and losers on the speeches. there was a statement that romney made in his speech that i haven't heard anyone repeat or talk about and i found it to be so incredible when he was telling his fictional story about his humble beginnings, he said that he and a few of his friends had a good idea to start a business so they were going to go to the mormon church to borrow money. but then he said if it didn't go well, he didn't want to go to hell so he borrowed the money from the evangelicals. so does that mean that the churches are into the loan-sharking business? >> the money changes are in the temple. >> caller: he made about kids to go to college he said if you don't have the money just borrow it from your parents. he goes to the church to start a business. >> did he borrow money from his
8:24am
dad? got money from his dad? >> john: there been a lot of issue. he claims his dad left him no money. that's a lie. his father left him money and he gave the money to his kids. he didn't take it but he got it. in case you haven't noticed he's a bit shady with the truth. laura, thank you for the call. that's a fascinating aspect. i want to stress it is inspiring to me in 2012 that nothing against our protestant friends but that we have on both tickets, no wasps for the first time in america history. we've got -- i'm sorry president obama is a protestant but then we've got a mormon and two catholics in the vice presidential slots. i find that so inspiring. nothing against wasps but think in 2012 we have a ticket with all four guys who are none of that. diversity. it is great when you think about all of the controversy over jfk in 1960. america has come a long way. we'll be right back on "the stephanie miller show."
8:25am
>>who the heck does mitt romney think he is? (vo) this is joy on current tv. >>if mitt romney treats his magic underwear the same way as his tax returns, then he's been going commando for the past 10 years. >>since when do you get to say stuff like that on tv? >> listen, if you'd read your email once in a while, you'd know i have a new show. (vo) always outspoken. >> you think because this is an election year you can just say anything? >> hello! say anything, that's the name of the show.
8:26am
of sununu, you're wrong. mitt romney, you're wrong. we need more teachers, not fewer
8:27am
teachers and more cops and more firefighters that support our [ female announcer ] every day, there's a new reason not to make a home-cooked meal. work, errands, a greasy bag of deep-fried easy.
8:28am
♪ ♪ fortunately with hamburger helper's 40 varieties a home-cooked meal is never out of reach. hamburger helper. help is on the way. [ woman ] ring. ring. progresso. in what world do potatoes, bacon and cheese add up to 100 calories? your world. ♪ ♪ [ whispers ] real bacon... creamy cheese... 100 calories... [ chef ] ma'am [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup. polar shifts will reverse the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space. which would render retirement planning unnecessary. but say the sun rises on december 22nd and you still need to retire. td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k). so who's in control now, mayans? [ train whistle blows ] [ ball hitting paddle ] yeah! [ orbit trumpet ]
8:29am
clean it up with orbit! [ orbit glint ] fabulous! for a good clean feeling. ♪ eat, drink, chew orbit! ♪ [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller. >> we were actually looking for a cheap miller but you're a sexy little trash, the second you started shaking the guys would >> john: you're watching papa this week. it is mashup week here on the show. thrilled to take your calls at 1-800-steph-12. don't even call. we've got so many people on hold. i'm joined by travon free, rick overton, tony seren tino on the mic. this is the police with rick james. it is mashup heaven on the show all week long. so many great great great calls. here's one from sk45202. mitt romney won't show his taxes because he's better off in 2012 than he was in 2008.
8:30am
>> meaning obama brought the economy up to a point that it is embarrassing to reveal the returns. >> john: you want to say 8.3 unemployment. reagan had 10% until he raised taxes. we were losing 750,000 jobs a month when -- actually over 800,000 jobs the month he took office. it was the stimulus that slowed that down. any measure you want to look at, employment terrorism, wall street, we're doing better now than four years ago. that's why liberals, if you're on the fence if you're disappointed about things that obama has done, i get ya. come on, man who is fighting for you and who is mitt romney fighting for? get on the bus already. let's take a few more calls. bill in seattle has been on hold for an awfully long time. good morning bill. i'm sure you're not a right wing troll in disguise. >> caller: how you doing? i think you guys are doing a fantastic job. you guys are right on topic. i would like to know what the mormon church thinks about the
8:31am
doctrine thou shall not tell lies. >> john: bear false witness. >> caller: bear false witness. romney is doing that. >> they pretend to be religious but at the very highest stages -- the guys that are anti-gay they're gay. the guys that are -- >> john: there's lots of very receipt sew sexual bigots out there. >> just wait three months. there is a story. >> john: i disagree with you again. i think the worst thing about mitt romney with the homophobia, i think he's a calculating nonhome phobe who is using homophobia for votes. >> you're saying he doesn't actually believe in these things? >> john: he's not -- he's not a bigot. >> he reads what he's supposed to believe every day on a card. >> caller: i don't know if romney knows what he believes. >> john: you're right, bill
8:32am
about the bearing false witness. we don't hear a lot of that. we have heard the catholic bishops came out against paul ryan's budget and we've heard some franciscans who have complained to mitt romney about it as well. i haven't heard any religious leaders call out any politicians on thank you shalt not bear false witness in quite awhile. >> caller: another thing. how come there's not more talk about ayn rand and the connection with ryan? ryan passed out copies of at lag shrugs to all of his intense. he bragged about it. now this year, once he gots -- right before he got the nomination or the nod for vice president, he said that was an urban legend that he was an ayn rand fan. he expects thomas aquinas. i have a web series. >> they don't mean a word of
8:33am
what they say. >> john: they want you to hear it. >> everything is strategic. >> john: i have a web series called caffeinated. >> love it. >> john: an episode came out about ayn rand versus jesus. if you search paul ryan versus ayn rand, you'll find it. i lay out all of the facts about paul ryan. you can't worship ayn rand and jesus in the same body. it doesn't work. >> greed, greed is like we're supposed to be cells in a body. all your cells are supposed to know what the other cells are doing. touching and talking and transmitting electrical signals back and forth and sharing fluids and vitamins and blood and oxygen. when a cell goes from we to me, that's the definition of cancer. cancer cell does. it starts to isolate then produce small clusters of its version and the genius of it is it is brilliant at taking over the host and then it kills the host it lives on. that's how smart cancer is.
8:34am
>> most brilliant thing i have ever heard anyone say ever. you just equated ayn randism with cancer. >> it is. it is social cancer. an ayn rand fan isn't going to come out and say you're right. cancer doesn't know it is cancer like a monkey doesn't know it is a monkey. someone else looks at a monkey and says that's a monkey. [ ♪ magic wand ♪ ] >> john: brilliant. wow. i'm not going to top that all day. let's go to peter in los angeles. good morning, peter. welcome to "the stephanie miller show." >> caller: thank you john. good morning to you and everybody else. >> john: thank you. >> caller: i do want to talk about on saturday, you will not believe with somebody who lives so far in the bubble it is incredible. i wanted to comment quickly on the conventions were two totally different opposites. the one with the republicans was three days of yes i did build that. attacking. but the democratic one was just three wonderful days of each person, each speaker talking about all of the accomplishments of president obama.
8:35am
>> john: exactly. there was one loser i thought at the democratic convention. anthony villaraigosa. the way he had the big teleprompter problem. with the photo showing the speech with the election -- >> predetermined. but anyway, i was in a -- shall we say a shopping place -- i don't know if i have to mention the name of it. begins with c ends with o. mitt says mostco. >> i was there on saturday doing some shopping and i love going in. different little stalls where they give out free saxes and i went up to one and there was this old guy about -- i would say about -- i'm 57. i'm not saying old people are all like this. >> john: as concise as you can. >> caller: he was late 60s. and first thing i heard out of his mouth. he was talking to this woman and
8:36am
first words he said there are 350 massachusettss in the white house. there are 350 communists in the white house. >> was alan west in costco? did you run into alan west? did the guy have a 1991 flattop? >> the guy was just standing there. he had a vietnam cap on. >> he had to use the number 357. >> i was talking to alan west or somebody from the manchurian candidate. i got talking to him for a few minutes because first thing out of my mouth was no, there's not then he said he has documents at home that proves there are. >> john: of course he does. communists in the white house that's brilliant. >> john: you know what i say to these people? have you ever met a communist? ask them what they think about barack obama. ask them what they think of wall street bailouts.
8:37am
if barack obama was communist we would have nationalized the auto company not given them a loan they paid back in full. >> like our piece we did. >> john: coming up, caffeinated where rick overton plays a socialist professor and i'm interviewed him in a hannity style and he says dude, i'm not a socialist. >> close. >> john: peter, thank you for your call. you were a gentleman with someone who was the opposite. i give you points for not smacking the guy with an oversized package of white shirts in costco. where mitt romney shops by the way. the guy who runs costco, the week after mitt romney says he shops at costco, at the costco ceo comes and speaks at the dnc. >> fantastic. >> because he bought shirts there one time. >> i saved you a package. >> it goes to show when you have to go like do what you think are middle class or poor things to show you relate that, shows how much you don't relate to people. when you have to go out of your way to say i bought shirts from costco. >> people that really shop at
8:38am
costco, they're not talking about that. >> that's george hssments w. bush with the socks. it is a scanner? you can't avoid revealing yourself. it would be like watching mitt romney trying to dance at a wu-tang show. don't expose your honkiness more than we have? do we have time for another call? let's didn't to chuck in idaho. chuck, you've got a pretty good point about the dnc. how you doing? >> caller: good. yeah obama is a guy that i support completely. well not completely. when he's wrong he's wrong. for the second convention in a row, he lied about coal. there's no such thing as clean coal. in both speeches. he's evidently in the pockets of the coal industry somehow. >> there will be some of that but i also think that that aside, romney would not be much different on the matter and probably ten times worse.
8:39am
>> even if clean coal was a science or technology is a complete myth, i mean money is being spent on trying to find a way to use coal. >> caller: i understand that. the technology as it is today it doesn't exist. we have to point out all lies when they come up. >> john: i agree. i completely agree with you and i respect the point and i thank you for the call. i want to give you a counter point though. when barack obama were to come out and say just wind and solar and alternative fuel, he would be dead in the water. there would be too many forces lined against him. by coming out and saying he supports an all of the above energy policy, while a lot of liberals will scorn him for that, he's guaranteeing hope for wind and solar because he's coming out and saying i support nuclear, clean coal. more drilling and liberals don't like he's increased drilling. conservatives lie about that by the way. there's never been more oil wells being drilled at the same time ever in history.
8:40am
because he talks the clean coal rap, money will go toward research for wind and solar energy. because the president adopts this point of view it helps him get re-elected. it is no different from the compromise bill clinton made in '96 when he signed the doma act. it was wrong to do. if he hadn't done it, bob dole could have gotten in the white house in '96. bill clinton had to do a homophobic thick to help gay folks a lot more. it is a dirty -- >> leadership requires horrific decision. >> horrific compromises. >> and sacrifices like any general who cries for the boys running out of the trench into the hail they needed this to get something else done. so which kid does sophie hand over? >> john: for all of the talk of clean coal, the fact that the president empraises this all of the above energy policy means that there is more of a future for wind and solar and alternative fuels and so i understand the compromise even though i don't like it. fair enough?
8:41am
>> look, we're in a philosophical war. it is a throwdown vicious cold, many could lateral damage numbers on both sides war. and because we have -- we're still living within a modicum of convenience in our world we don't treat it like a war but it absolutely is. >> john: we have to go to break. we'll be back with the final minutes and special announcements here on "the stephanie miller show." do not didn't away! >> so who is responsible for these outrages? >> announcer: it's "the stephanie miller show." u>> i'm not prone tot. understatement, so explain to me why that is. i think the mob learned from wall st., not vice versa.
8:42am
8:43am
8:44am
8:45am
from silver screens... to flat screens... twizzlerize your entertainment everyday with twizzlers the twist you can't resist. it's go time. what time is it rob? oh, then it's go. go. go. go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? go time! [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller
8:46am
. [ ♪ music ♪ ] [ laughter ] >> this one's great. ♪ >> john: this is the "the stephanie miller show." i'm john fuglesang. it is mash up with daddy week on the steph show. this is, of course, queen with outcast. and what a pleasure it's been having two of my favorite comedians here, travon free along with rick overton. by the way a great place about how the beat that there was a rumor that obama was selling blueprints for the b-2 stealth bomber to china. he's also a lie. all of the china stuff is just completely dishonest. you should ignore it. thank you. we're here to help. rick overton, where can people see you? >> i will be at comedy day in san francisco this upcoming sunday, september 16th outdoors up in the san francisco so it is a lot of fun. come on up to comedy day.
8:47am
>> rock on. you're also doing a sunday night show at the improv every week, are you not? >> this next sunday i won't be there because i'll be up at comedy day. >> john: i did your show last night at the hollywood improv. >> you did a great job guys. killed it. >> john: you're on twitter finally. we dragged knew the century. >> what's this newfangled gadget? contraption! >> tweeter as mccain called it. >> john: when he talks to snooki. as proud as i was of the dnc nothing has made me more proud of america than the cancellation of jersey shore. >> you mean the actual shore was canceled. >> chris christie had budget cuts. travon, where can people read your blog and follow you and where are you performing? >> my blog is on my web site, travonfree.com or travonfree at word press. you can follow me on twitter at
8:48am
travon. i will be in vegas september 28th and 29th at the palace station. what else? the gentleman's ranch show on youtube. i have a new show called bfd filming this week that premieres next week on the 19th. that will be online as well. >> gee, what does that stand for? >> john: ask joe biden he will tell you. >> joe knows. >> and yeah, so those are all of the things i have going on. >> you're joining me later in the week. >> i'll be back friday. >> maybe i can drag rick overton back here. >> john: we'll have great guests on the show. namely jennifer granholm. we got a great comment here. i love her. where is this? my favorite comment of the entire day. i can't find it now. one of our listeners i'm sorry i don't have your name said the real loser of the dnc was eva longoria because she had to
8:49am
follow jennifer granholm. i should remind you all jennifer granholm's excellent show on current tv is called "the war room" on monday through friday and now it has moved to 10:00 p.m. you all have no excuse for missing this. if you liked her speech, you'll love her show. i know this because i went there and filled in for a week. i know how capable her staff is. please check it out. i should point out that stephanie miller and hal sparks and i will be performing the sexy liberal comedy tour in seattle at the paramount on saturday, the 29th of this month. the last saturday of september. i don't have the calendar in front of me. we'll have a special guest i think. we'll do the beacon theatre, the very first sexy liberal comedy show at the beacon october 27th with some very special guests that stephanie is never going to allow me to reveal but i'm excited because i called in some favors on that one. look forward to that. i'm going to be performing in madison, wisconsin with hal sparks at the barrymore theatre.
8:50am
a special election eve show. come see me and hal in madison. laughing liberally almost every monday night off broadway. >> i want to do that show. >> when are you coming to new york? >> john: as soon as i can. i just moved, i have a guest room for my comedian friends. >> new year's eve. >> john: for all of you all watching viewers come, crash at my place. i have room. let's try to get to another call. molly from missouri has been on hold for a long time. welcome to the "the stephanie miller show." >> caller: hi. i wanted to also take issue as a woman who has children and works with the thing -- ann romney was a winner during the convention because she really referenced women as -- in conjunction to other people. not as their own not as contributing -- she said something about women trying to
8:51am
work less so that they could stay with their kids and the men working overtime so that they could pay for the kids. it just really -- i mean she really came across to me as the country club mom the man's world's girl's mom and not at all the i'm a woman i'm an equal, you know. and also frankly kind of insulting to the men of saying you know, the women -- as a mom they're important but the dads are not as important. >> john: good point. >> caller: really bugged me. >> they pandered poorly. didn't work it out in the office when they were coaching. didn't work out all of the glitches. >> especially when you compare her speech to michelle obama's. she made ann romney look like a stepford wife. >> caller: exactly. how awful the comparison is. >> john: i thank you for the call molly. i try to find nice things to say about ann romney.
8:52am
she is a great stay at fives home mom and we respect that. i want to say coming up this week on "the stephanie miller show" since you're stuck with me folks, we'll have mr. hal sparks joining us. tv's frank connick will be here this week. governor jennifer granholm. rick unger of forbes.com is the man that wrote the piece that has set the internet on fire when he pointed out under president obama, we've had the lowest growth in government spending since president dwight eisenhower. conservatives hate this guy. rick unger is a priliant guy. one of the liberals who goes on hannity's show and cleans sean's clock. we've also got rick pierce, kelley carlin, daughter of george is great. and jimmy dorr. reverend sandy richards. dino, a lot of great guests. you're a darn fool if you don't stay here. i will be here all week with tony. we miss you stephanie. we hope you're having a great
8:53am
time on vacation with your posse. it will be a great week. great time to be an american. i want to wish all of. >> beautiful day. have a great monday and a great week. thank you for spending this part of your morning with us. we're "the stephanie miller show." this is talking liberally on current tv. i'm john fuglesang. can't wait for the rest of the week. and be sure to tune in to governor granholm's show, "the war room" once again at 10:00. i wouldn't say it so many times if the show wasn't so damn great. travon, thank you. >> thank you for having me, i love the show. >> john: rick, thank you. >> thank you. >> john: it is a great way to bring my favorite comedians together and do the lord's work. all of you conservatives we're praying that you'll take the blue pill and get out of the matrix. >> go vote! >> john: local and state elections matter more than anything. for the last time, i'm john fuglesang. we'll see you right here tomorrow on "the stephanie miller show." our special cohost tomorrow, frank conniff tv's frank.
8:54am
8:55am
8:56am
8:57am
8:58am
8:59am